Sunday, June 5, 2011

Well, here it is over three weeks since I arrived in Santiago, Chile. It has taken me this long to find this blog site Maren set up for me. (So sad that I am so technically challenged) I plan on using the site like a journal. I already know I won't have time to write in more than one place. So, for those of you who have access, you will probably want to do a lot of scanning. When I get around to sitting down to write, I tend to go on and on.

It is a Sunday afternoon with a little rain. There are patches of blue in the sky which is unusual. The pollution here in the city is thick enough that it reminds me of living in southern California. I just got home from church. I go to the P0curo Ward which normally mets in a chapel on "temple square", a three minute walk from my apartment. However, the chapel is being remodeled. We are meeting in a building which I am told is the first stake center built in Santiago and it is about 30 minutes away by bus. Our ward is big. The number of sisters in Relief Society is about three times the number in my ward in Lindon. Today a new bishopric was sustained. The ward has good strong leadership in all the organizations and the teachers are knowledgeable and well prepared. Much is like being in Utah county. I just need to get to the point I understand all of what is being said. I am probably getting about 25% now, which leaves a lot of room for misunderstanding.

The day I arrived, May 13, 2011, I was met at the airport by two senior couples, the Heatons and the Goodwins. Gary Heaton is the executive secretary for the area president. His wife, Kay, works in the office with him. They are going to be here for several more months, which makes me happy. Dave Goodwin was the area mental health advisor that I replaced. His wife Jeneene helped him with the office type work. They were kind enough to let me stay in the apartment with them until they left here on May 16. It was very helpful to move into an established apartment that is furnished. In fact, Jeneene had so many supplies in the cupboards my grocery bill has been about half the usual these past three weeks. During the first week, I didn't even have to cook there were so many left overs in the freezer and fridge.

As far as the work goes, it keeps me busy, but so far I have not been completely overwhelmed. I think in part because I am being blessed, some of the situations have been pretty intense. Some days I am meeting with missionaries in my office or on the phone or talking to mission presidents or their wives for hours on end. Those days I go home exhausted, then end up getting phone calls around 10:30 PM when missionaries get back to their apartments. Thankfully, the next day or so has been less intense. I am gaining a real testimony that the Lord watches over and sustains His missionaries even though their burdens often are not taken away.

I am going to spend the week of June 13-17 with the Vina del Mar Mission. I will spend time with small groups in each of three zone conferences talking about dealing with stress and how to learn and grow from stressful experiences. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish up the power point presentation and have Ceasar Castro check the Spanish translation for me. Bro. Castro is a young guy who heads LDS Family Services. He was born in Chile, grew up in Salt Lake, came back to Chile for his mission and now is here living permanently and married to a Chilean.

I need to take a break to get something ready for a potluck supper and send off for a couple of sister missionaries who leave to go home Monday. I want to have that ready to go so I can spend time on Skype with everyone who will be at Megan's for Connor's birthday party

No comments:

Post a Comment